Select Page

Another of the short lived Leicestershire greyhound racing venues was the one located in the small village of Newbold Verdon. Newbold Vernon is situated ten miles west of Leicester, and it is in this village that the sport staged its first meeting on the 15th of April 1930. Gatherings staged both Whippets and Greyhounds and it is presumed a trackless hare system was used as a lure. Adverts suggest the track was in a field opposite the the George and Dragon Public House, which was then situated along Barlestone Road, about half a mile north of the Newbold Verdon village centre. The local press suggests it staged approximately ten gatherings, with the final one advertised for the 7th of August 1930. Another presumption is that the site of the temporary track was constructed on land now occupied by The Newbold Verdon Equestrian Centre, and the site of the now demolished George and Dragon Public House is now occupied by a Medical Practise Centre, both located adjacent to today’s B585 main road.

This caption dated April 14th 1930, announces Newbold’s opening meeting.
Another opening meeting this one dated July 22nd 1930.
Evidence above dated July 23rd 1930, proving that this event took place.