Select Page

The Essex seaside resort of Southend on Sea has played its part in greyhound racing at a more regular level with the one at The Grainger Road Stadium which closed during 1985. The venue at Kursaal Grounds is also mentioned on the website, yet another brief attempt of the sport appeared at a venue on Eastwood Road during 1930. Eastwood Road is actually found three miles north east of Southend Pier, north of the close by town of Leigh on sea. The venue’s first meeting was staged on August 2nd 1930, but due to limited amount of private owner trainers and the poor standard of greyhounds graded, the venue become unpopular and almost immediately ran in to financial problems. By October 22nd the company ceased staging meetings and with the landlord still requiring rent further financial problems saw the greyhound company wound up. The exact location of the venue still remains unexplained.

This press cutting is dated April 1931.