SWANSEA (White City) GREYHOUND STADIUM SUMMARY
White City Stadium
White City Road
LOCATED————————————-About thee quarters of a mile south west of Fforestfach town centre.
ORIGINAL SITE——————————Farm grazing land.
DATE CONSTRUCTED———————Possibly 1932.
-DATE VENUE OPENED——————-Possibly 1932.
Meaning other sports may have taken place prior to the arrival of Greyhound Racing.
FIRST MEETING—————————–Dont know.
Greyhound Racing only.
LICENSED OR INDEPENDENT———-NGRC.
All venues covered would have to be licensed with the government, licensed suggested in this section would refer to tracks operating under NGRC Rules.
INSIDE OR OUTSIDE HARE TYPE——Dont know.
Please note that the Electric Hare suggested is only a guidance, and would have been in operation for a certain amount of time at this venue. Although it is not necessarily guaranteed that it was operational all the time, as other types of lure may have been used and updated as time progressed.
Please note that most racing venues distances had become varied throughout the years, the ones given above were at once point set and offers only a guidance to the track size.
Please note that alterations at most racing venues throughout its existence would see that the circumference of the track would vary, the one shown above offers only a guidance to the track size.
BIG RACE NAMES————————–Nothing found.
STADIUM SHARED WITH—————-Dont know.
LAST MEETING—————————–Possibly early 1940’s.
Greyhound Racing only.
STADIUM CLOSURE DATE————–Possibly early 1940’s.
Meaning other sports may have taken place after Greyhound Racing had ceased.
STADIUM DEMOLITION——————Early 1940’s.
BUILT ON SITE——————————Swansea Self Storage located on Queensway, on the Swansea West industrial estate.
In some cases, structure’s that originally covered the venue after the stadium had been demolished, may have been themselves demolished too, so the one described is more likely to be the one which now presently covers the site.
EVIDENCE LEFT TODAY——————Nothing known of.
A further greyhound track is found on a 1940 Ordnance Survey map, west of the district of Fforest Ffach, and is recognised as the Swansea White City Stadium. Proof is given by a road that feeds it, because it is marked, not surprisingly, White City Road, which branches off in a Westerley direction from the Carmarthen Road. Dates of operation and information remains sketchy, but it is possible that it operated just as a flapping track during the mid to late 1930’s. This venue was situated roughly one mile east of Swansea’s last greyhound track, and possibly may have been in operation up until the early months of the Second World War. The track had originally developed on grazing land situated between a farm and a railway branch line, with the map showing that it had a covered grandstand on its western edge, with other information revealing that it had a capacity for 2,500 patrons. Its official existing dates still remain a mystery, but maps after the hostilities sees the site being covered by an industrial estate. As for today its once foundations are pinpointed by a company called Swansea Self Storage, situated along Queensway, on the Swansea West Industrial Estate.