Select Page

DUNDEE GREYHOUND STADIUM SUMMARY

ADDRESS———————————–

Dundee Football Club
Dens Park
Sandeman Street
Dundee
Angus
Scotland.

POSTCODE———————————-DD3 7JY

LOCATED————————————Dens Park is located one mile north of Dundee city centre.

ORIGINAL SITE—————————–Farm gtazing land prio to becoming a football stadium.

DATE CONSTRUCTED——————–Late 1890’s.

DATE VENUE OPENED——————-Opened for first football match in 1899, then the venue was totally revamped during 1921.
Meaning other sports may have taken place prior to the arrival of Greyhound Racing.

FIRST MEETING—————————–November 9th 1932 until June 6th 1936 closed due to unpaid rent. then opened again in 1994 until closure in 1996.
Greyhound Racing only.

LICENSED OR INDEPENDENT———-NGRC.
All venues covered would have to be licensed with the government, licensed suggested in this section would refer to tracks operating under NGRC Rules.

INSIDE OR OUTSIDE HARE TYPE——Outside Sumner.
Please note that the Electric Hare suggested is only a guidance, and would have been in operation for a certain amount of time at this venue. Although it is not necessarily guaranteed that it was operational all the time, as other types of lure may have been used and updated as time progressed.

DISTANCES———————————–400 metres, 480 metres handicapped races.
Please note that most racing venues distances had become varied throughout the years, the ones given above were at once point set and offers only a guidance to the track size.

CIRCUMFERENCE—————————Dont know
Please note that alterations at most racing venues throughout its existence would see that the circumference of the track would vary, the one shown above offers only a guidance to the track size.

BIG RACE NAMES—————————Nothing known of.

STADIUM SHARED WITH——————Dundee Football Club.

LAST MEETING——————————-December 1996.
Greyhound Racing only.

STADIUM CLOSURE DATE—————-Still there.
Meaning other sports may have taken place after Greyhound Racing had ceased.

STADIUM DEMOLITION——————–N/A

BUILT ON SITE——————————–N/A
In some cases, structure’s that originally covered the venue after the stadium had been demolished, may have been themselves demolished too, so the one described is more likely to be the one which now presently covers the site.

EVIDENCE LEFT TODAY——————–None noticeable at venue stadium now totally revamped since closure of greyhound racing.

FURTHER COMMENTS———————None

Trials taking place during September 1932.
Two press cuttings dated November 1932.
Four early 1990’s views of Dens Park.
Photograph courtesy of The Greyhound Star.
This racecard date November 1996.

It may come as a surprise that Dundee is the fourth largest city in Scotland, situated on the northern banks of the Firth of Tay. The city of Dundee could boast it has two of the largest professional football clubs north of the border, Dundee who play at Dens Park and Dundee United who host matches at Tannadice. Another thing that may come as a surprise is both these football stadiums have their main entrances on the same street, separated by no more than one hundred yards. Yet a further surprise awaits us, as both stadiums once featured Greyhound Racing while still hosting professional football. But it is this chapter that describes the one that lies one mile north of Dundee’s city centre, at Dens Park. Both Dens Park and Tannadice began as nothing more than grazing land for cattle around the late 1890’s, before Dundee Football Club hosted their first football match in 1899. By 1921 Dens Park had established itself as an enclosed football venue, its shape and design then influencing the shape of stadium as we know it today. Although Greyhound Racing had been introduced down the road at Tannadice in 1928, the sport had been deemed a flop, mainly due to lack of interest, unlike south of the border were the sport was booming. But it was the Dundee Greyhound Racing Company who had invested £25,000 into Dens Park back in 1932, that caught the Dundee’s public imagination at the right time. Their investment had seen an existing cinder Athletics track that ran around the perimeter of the football pitch, ripped up and replaced by a fully turfed greyhound track, complete with track lighting. The main grandstand had been refurbished with a glass fronted enclosure, totalisator booths and a result’s indicator board erected on the opposite side to the main stand. Dens Park’s first meeting came on the 9th of November 1932, and promoted events under NGRC rules, with six greyhounds contesting over distances of 260, 460 and 612 yards, with the hounds chasing an outside electric hare. Attendances had been healthy during its early days, with the greyhounds provided by the greyhound company, and yet enough to fulfil the five meetings per week on offer. Further investment during July 1935 had seen a more modern totalisator system introduced and things looked promising. But undisclosed to the public, was that the greyhound company had not been paying their instalments of the £250 yearly rent to the football club, with their last instalment coming in September 1935. By June 1936, the football club responded by taking action through Dundee sheriff’s court, which warranted all goods that was owned by the greyhound company seized within Dens Park, forcing the greyhound company to cease trading. These legal moves taken by the football club had witnessed Dens Park stage its final meeting on Saturday the 6th of June 1936, its final race being a dead heat. After the greyhounds were gone, Dens Park continued to host professional football, with Dundee Football Club witnessing its record attendance of 43,024 against Rangers in 1943. But Greyhound Racing had not finished at Dens Park, as it would take almost another sixty years to make a return. It was during 1994 that local enthusiasts persuaded the football club to lay an all sanded track around the football pitches perimeter. Events were to be run under NGRC rules, with five greyhounds contesting over distances of 400 metres, with the hounds chasing an outside hare. Unfortunately, the sport failed to catch the modern day punter’s imagination, as crowds failed to cover costs and with limited numbers of greyhounds available, racing ceased in December 1996. Since those days of Greyhound Racing almost twenty years or so ago, Dens Park has seen a total transformation regarding the upgrading of the stadium. The oval shape it once had is now gone, the shape now is rectangular with all stands now being totally seated. Never again will we see Greyhound Racing at Dens Park, the only reminder of it ever having been there is Dens Park main stand, with its dog leg shape similar to what it was during the boom years of the 1930’s.

A programme, photograph or even memorabilia for this track is required for this page, if you can help please contact me.