PORTH GREYHOUND STADIUM SUMMARY
Caemawr Greyhound Stadium
LOCATED————————————Porth is located 15 miles north west of Cardiff following the River Taff, with the venue situated half a mile west of Porth Railway Station.
ORIGINAL SITE—————————–Upper Cymmer Colliery.
DATE CONSTRUCTED——————–Possibly 1940’s.
DATE VENUE OPENED——————-Possibly 1940’s.
Meaning other sports may have taken place prior to the arrival of Greyhound Racing.
FIRST MEETING—————————–Dont know.
Greyhound Racing only.
LICENSED OR INDEPENDENT———-Independent
All venues covered would have to be licensed with the government, licensed suggested in this section would refer to tracks operating under NGRC Rules.
INSIDE OR OUTSIDE HARE TYPE——Dont know.
Please note that the Electric Hare suggested is only a guidance, and would have been in operation for a certain amount of time at this venue. Although it is not necessarily guaranteed that it was operational all the time, as other types of lure may have been used and updated as time progressed.
Please note that most racing venues distances had become varied throughout the years, the ones given above were at once point set and offers only a guidance to the track size.
Please note that alterations at most racing venues throughout its existence would see that the circumference of the track would vary, the one shown above offers only a guidance to the track size.
BIG RACE NAMES—————————-Nothing found.
STADIUM SHARED WITH——————Nothing known of.
LAST MEETING——————————-Possibly early 1960’s.
Greyhound Racing only.
STADIUM CLOSURE DATE—————-Possibly early 1960’s.
Meaning other sports may have taken place after Greyhound Racing had ceased.
STADIUM DEMOLITION——————–Late 1960’s.
BUILT ON SITE——————————–Housing on the Caemawr Gardens Estate constructed between 1971 and 1975.
In some cases, structure’s that originally covered the venue after the stadium had been demolished, may have been themselves demolished too, so the one described is more likely to be the one which now presently covers the site.
EVIDENCE LEFT TODAY——————–Nothing known of.
Little is known of the greyhound track that operated in Glamorgan’s ex mining village of Porth, a small location which lies amidst the Rhondda Valleys of South Wales. It was known to locals as the Caemawr Greyhound Stadium which had begun to develop throughout the post was years of the Second World War. It had been constructed on the site of an old colliery known as the Upper Cymmer Colliery, an abandoned location found at the end of Caemawr Road, just half a mile west of Porth Railway Station. No evidence has been found regarding its first meeting, but it is clear that it operated solely as a flapping track, and ran meetings during the mid1950’s, and with little information available of the track operating later than this period, it is expected that its closure would have been around the early 1960’s. Information regarding distances etc. again remain very sketchy, although according to ordnance survey maps the stadium itself was exposed, with just a small standing cover on the south side. Today, Housing on Caemawr Gardens Estate built during the early 1970’s now occupies the site, leaving no evidence at all of the track being there.