Home of Crossgates Primrose Football Club, Humbug Park, Crossgates, Nr Dunfermline, Fifeshire.
LOCATED————————————Crossgates village is found three miles east of Dunfermline, with the venue situated half a mile south of town centre on the B981.
ORIGINAL SITE—————————–The football ground was built on the site of the old Cuttlehill Colliery.
DATE CONSTRUCTED——————–Don’t know
DATE VENUE OPENED——————-Don’t know
Meaning other sports may have taken place prior to the arrival of Greyhound Racing.
FIRST MEETING—————————–June 17th 1939.
Greyhound Racing only.
LICENSED OR INDEPENDENT———-Independent
All venues covered would have to be licensed with the government, licensed suggested in this section would refer to tracks operating under NGRC Rules.
INSIDE OR OUTSIDE HARE TYPE——Not known.
Please note that the Electric Hare suggested is only a guidance, and would have been in operation for a certain amount of time at this venue. Although it is not necessarily guaranteed that it was operational all the time, as other types of lure may have been used and updated as time progressed.
Please note that most racing venues distances had become varied throughout the years, the ones given above were at once point set and offers only a guidance to the track size.
Please note that alterations at most racing venues throughout its existence would see that the circumference of the track would vary, the one shown above offers only a guidance to the track size.
BIG RACE NAMES—————————Nothing known of.
STADIUM SHARED WITH——————Crossgates Primrose Junior Football Club.
LAST MEETING——————————-Possibly late 1950’s early 1960’s.
Greyhound Racing only.
STADIUM CLOSURE DATE—————-Still used for amateur football.
Meaning other sports may have taken place after Greyhound Racing had ceased.
BUILT ON SITE——————————-Footbal Ground is still there but the pitch is now at 90 degrees to when Greyhound Racing took place.
In some cases, structure’s that originally covered the venue after the stadium had been demolished, may have been themselves demolished too, so the one described is more likely to be the one which now presently covers the site.
EVIDENCE LEFT TODAY——————-Nothing known of.
Crossgates greyhound track was another track that encircled a football pitch. It was located at Humbug Park a Scottish junior football ground located in an ex mining village three miles east of Dunfermline. The football ground had developed on the site of Cuttlehill Colliery, half a mile south of Crossgates town centre just off the B981.
Efforts were made during 1936 to bring in greyhound racing to Humbug Park but it was three years later before the project got under way. The first meeting took place on the 17th of June 1939, with six greyhounds competing over 275 yards, chasing a lure that was hand operated around a two bend course. A new distance of 450 yards was introduced once a more permanent hare system had been installed.
No dates are available at the moment when Greyhound Racing ceased, but certainly continued throughout the 1950’s and possibly early 1960’s. In 1968 Humbug Park went under a total transformation after the football pitch was turned 90 degrees, which removed all visions of the track ever being there.
Humbug Park still exists today, still hosting matches for Crossgates Primrose Football Club, yet any possible evidence of Greyhound Racing ever having been run there remains very unlikely.
A programme, photograph or even memorabilia for this track is required for this page, if you can help please contact me.