Little Park, Roose, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria LA13
Another of the less established Greyhound Racing venues in the northwest was the one that operated on the outskirts of Barrow-in-Furness. It was known as Little Park, a venue found in the district of Roose, an area situated two miles east of Barrow town centre.
Up until 1909 Little Park had been the home to Barrow Football Club for just one season only, as it was a basic football pitch with just changing rooms only and poor accessibility, and then from 1914 up until 1931 had been used by the towns Rugby League club. After the Rugby club had left the venue, it became home to Greyhound Racing for a number of months before the venue closed in 1932.
The venue itself had a 66 yards long main stand which had been opened in September 1921, and another wooden stand which would be eventually transported to the rugby club’s new stadium at Craven Park once Little Park had closed. Grass track Speedway also took place in 1928, and in 1931 a cinder speedway track was laid during the summer months before dog racing took its place.
The venue was demolished soon after, yet the site lay undeveloped until 1957 and by 1961 new housing had taken its place. Today, the site of Little Park is covered by housing adjacent to Yarlside Road, with nearby streets named after castle’s, all located on the opposite side of the road northeast of The Ship Inn, which incidentally acted as the changing rooms for the old rugby club.