Select Page

The village of Markfield lies seven miles north west of the City of Leicester, and just one mile south east of the busy M1 motorway. It is here on the north western outskirts of the village that Greyhound Racing once took place, with its first known meeting taking place on the 3rd of January 1931. Its arrival was only brief as it is thought that the venue lasted for just one year only. The track was situated at the rear of the Old Coach & Horses Inn, a business which still operates today along the side of Leicester Road, which runs parallel to the A50, just one and a half miles south east of junction 22 of the M1. Information found shows that the hounds competed over 330 and 500 yards, with whippet racing taking place during gatherings also, yet no other information is at hand at this time of writing.