Select Page

Another of Nottinghamshire’s Greyhound Racing venues was found at Langley Mill, a small town located roughly ten miles north west of Nottingham city centre. The track itself was situated on a section of recreational land, found at the rear of the now demolished New Inn Public House, which lay along the side of the A608 main road. At the time it was described in the local press as a Pirate Track, meaning that it could easily be erected and dismantled in a matter of hours, and therefore links itself with the temporary track category. But on the positive side of things, it became known as the Victory Greyhound and Whippet Track, with its first meeting being staged on the 19th of April 1930, with both greyhounds and whippets contesting over distances of 330 and 500 yards. A seven race meeting had been advertised, with three greyhound, and four whippet races, all of which featured five entrants. It is yet to be determined what type of lure was used for the dogs to chase, but favourably it would have been a portable appliance, powered possibly by a car engine, as so many did in those days. Its first event winner was a greyhound called Portland Park, who became victorious over the 500 yards hurdle event. But what does remain unclear, is the type of track they raced on, was it a straight run or was it a circuit, as evidence fails to solve this argument. Yet dog racing at Langley Mill failed to make an impact, as from April 1931, no more further events were ever advertised in the local press. But this was not the end of the Victory Greyhound Track, as its promoter transferred all the track equipment to the nearby Woodville Cricket Ground, and built another track under the same name. By 1938, the eleven and a half acre section of recreational land situated behind the New Inn became covered by industrial units, and furthermore The New Inn Public House was also lost too, with its site now covered by an Office Block belonging to The Hallam Plastic Company, which now pinpoints the location of were these pastimes once took place.

This press cutting is dated April 16th 1930.
Cutting dated April 21st 1930.
Cutting dated April 23rd 1930.
The New Inn Public House is seen here on this 1938 OS Map, just above centre.