Select Page

The birth of the present Romford Stadium had been triggered by the closure of an earlier greyhound track that once operated close by. The track in question was situated on the opposite side of London Road to were the present track lies today, on land close to a public house known as The Crown Hotel. It was during early 1930 that a newly formed greyhound company invested around £400 to landscape a 550 yard straight track across a narrow section of wasteland. The venue was basic indeed, as there was no outbuildings, its only permanent fixture being a stationary Ford motor vehicle, who’s engine would turn a drum fixed to one of the car wheels, which in turn would drag a rope attached to the lure. Its first meeting came on the 5th of July 1930, a seven race event that would attract some 750 people along with nine standing bookmakers. It was to be the first meeting of many, as five meetings per week had been organised, with a view of making the company of around £100 per week profit, with just £4 per week as outgoings for rent. But it didn’t take long before the greyhound company were receiving complaints, some from the local clergy, along with a number of signed petition’s that became handed in to the council, but it was the substantial rent increase that made the company rethink its position. Exact dates are sketchy when determining its closure, but it is presumed that its final meeting was staged during early 1931.The next following months had seen the greyhound company look for a new site, fortunately enough a rhubarb field on the opposite side of London Road seemed to be the solution, which eventually brought on the birth of the present Romford Stadium. The site of the old venue disappeared well before the declaration of the Second World War, as new housing covered the site were it once lay, yet The Crown Public House (pictured) still exists today.

A press cutting dated June 20th 1930.
This cutting is dated July 11th 1930.
The Crown Public House as it is today.