Select Page

Sources of information shows that Greyhound Racing once took place in the small Leicestershire town of Earl Shilton. The town itself lies nine miles south west of the City of Leicester, and is known to have hosted the sport during the early 1930’s. Newspaper reports suggest that the venue was located adjacent to Leicester Road north of the town, yet its exact location remains unknown. Its first gathering took place during January 1930, with events mainly dominated by Whippets. According to press results it seems it staged its final events during September 1934. When comparing old maps and present day maps, the grassland that spans either side of Leicester Road remains virtually undisturbed, and therefore offers a chance that the site were gatherings once took place is still there.

This local press cutting dated January 27th 1930 announces the first gathering at Earl Shilton.