Select Page

It is known that Greyhound Racing took place at a temporary level during 1969 at the old ground of Ilford Football Club. The suburban town of Ilford lies in the county of Essex, roughly nine miles north east of London city centre. The venue was known as The Lynn Road Stadium, which had been the football clubs home since 1903, and at one point had a crowd capacity of 10,000, although it was never tested. The ground consisted of a 1,000 seater main stand, with a paddock in front, which was also sheltered by a peculiar shaped roof. The rest of the pitch was surrounded by banking, with a further shelter on the opposite side to the main stand. Unfortunately there is no information on how Greyhound Racing operated, although it was for a short period only, and that the ground was demolished in the late 1970’s. The site was later built on with Housing on Dellow Close, which is found about one mile north east of Ilford town centre pinpointing its once location.

This advert found in The Greyhound Owner during May 1969.