It may surprise many, but the Fifeshire town of Dunfermline and its surrounds have been host to a number of Greyhound Racing venues, such as the ones found at East End Park and the two confirmed named Western venues in Milesmark. Yet this chapter reveals a less familiar one, its existence lasting for just over three years, with its first meeting being staged on the first of June 1936, before coming to a close on the 15th of July 1939.
Although known to the newspapers as The Western track, it was also known to the locals as the West Fife Stadium. Information remains very sketchy indeed, but the track is clearly mentioned that it was situated near the village of Backmuir, roughly two miles west of the other two identified Western tracks.
Its exact location still remains a mystery, as no Ordnance Survey maps reveals a possible location, with the track possibly being nothing more than a marked out circuit in a farmer’s field. Distances shown on the cards as 275 yards, which would suggest it was a two bend affair, with a drag hare more than likely used as the lure.