Select Page

Twenty miles west of Cardiff lies the town of Bridgend. It was a town known more for its sport of Rugby Union, with Bridgend Ravens playing on a ground known as the Brewery Field. Brewery Fields original site had been an actual operational Brewery, which ended production around the turn of the twentieth century. The site was cleared in 1920 only to be replaced by an athletics track, with the venue becoming known as the Athletics Ground. Bridgend Ravens Rugby Union Club moved in as tenants, and in 1928 a Greyhound Racing Company took over the lease, and by the following year the rugby club had been evicted. Racing began during 1929, and yet it was only a brief stay as the sport had gone by the end of 1932. Little is known regarding distances and hare type, but eventually the rugby club did return to the Brewery Fields in 1935. Since then it has been the home to Rugby Union, with Bridgend Ravens using the venue, which presently lies about half a mile north West of Bridgend town centre along Tondu Road.