Select Page

During the 1930’s, the area around the North Devon town of Barnstaple, had experienced Greyhound Racing at three different locations. Although the first two opened at the beginning of the decade, it is in this chapter that the latter one is described. Operations took place on grazing land adjacent to Tews Lane in Bickington, a small village located roughly two and a half miles West of Barnstaple town centre. The land was known as Combe Park, and it was on the 6th of February 1937 that it staged its first meeting. Gatherings would continue throughout the Summer months, with five hounds contesting over 340 and 400 yards. It had a close season through the Winter months, but newspaper evidence shows that the sport was still active during the Summer months of 1939.

Two local press adverts dated February 1937.