Select Page

The Lincolnshire seaside resort of Skegness has in recent times become the home to Greyhound Racing under a more permanent role. But the sport had played a part in the towns history as far back as the early 1930’s and also the mid 1960’s and early 1970’s on a temporary track laid across the pitch of Skegness Football Club. There is suggestions that the venues first meeting was staged on the 27th of August 1931, with an advert dated July 1932 describing its location being along Burgh Road near the Ship Inn. During the 1960’s the venue hosted a straight course and also two and three bend races were tried with the hounds chasing a ball hare type lure over distances of 220, 225 and 240 yards. The venue was situated less than a mile from the seafront along the A158 Burgh Road opposite a cluster of bungalows known as Elizabeth Grove. Sadly, the football ground no longer exists as a B & M Stores now covers the site.

The caption was printed in the local press dated July 1932.
This GO advert is dated July 4th 1961.
The football ground shown on this 1966 OS map is on the far left. Courtesy of Old Maps.
This Greyhound Owner advert is dated July 1967.
This one dated May 1968.