Select Page

Although the town of Nuneaton had experienced Whippet Racing during 1927, it wasn’t until the early 1930’s that organised Greyhound Racing first appeared within its Borough. Its location was the town’s football ground Manor Park, the home of Nuneaton Borough Football Club. Manor Park was located roughly three quarters of a mile west of Nuneaton town centre and had developed in to a substantial venue boasting a 12,000 crowd capacity, even though it was home to amateur football, The first meeting took place on May 28th 1932. Five dog race events staging both Whippets and Greyhounds took place over 260 and 420 yards, Three meetings per week featured throughout the Summer months of 1932, before a winter break halted proceedings and then again reappearing during March 1933, Newspaper reports and results ceased during August of that year and it is presumed that racing had ceased before the end of 1933. Football continued to be staged at Manor Park throughout the following years and continued to do so until the end of the 2007-08 season. Its existence ended due to it having been sold to developers with the venue being demolished during 2008. The site is now covered by a cluster of new dwellings located on Borough Way and any remnants of the old venue remains very doubtful.

This advert printed in the local press dated May 26th 1932.
The last time Nuneaton’s card was printed in the local press dated August 23rd 1933.