Select Page

The small Derbyshire town of Newhall became a part of a triangle of Greyhound tracks that would operate within three miles of each other. With the Woodville track located one and a half miles south west and Swadlincote even closer at 1. 3 miles, the competition to attract greyhounds was intense. This chapter describes the track which was found along the side of Oversetts Road, which runs south west away from Newhall town centre, and staged its first meeting on the 9th of May 1930. Whippet Racing also took place during meetings, mainly over the 300 yard distance, with the larger breed contesting over the 500 yard trip. Its brief stay of operation may have lasted up until November 1930, as local newspapers fail to report of any other further goings on during the following year.

This local press cutting is dated May 7th 1930.