Select Page

The West Yorkshire town of Castleford is found nine miles south east of Leeds city centre, the town itself more recognised with greyhound racing with the closeby Whitwood Greyhound Stadium. Yet there is evidence that greyhound racing took place at a venue closer to the town centre just off Lock Lane, on a sports field that was once occupied by Castleford Town Football Club. Little is known on how it operated, although it is suggested that events began during 1939 and ceased during the early 1950’s. Although no evidence of the track remains, the site today is in use as a rugby pitch, and is now the home to the Lock Lane Amateur Rugby League Club, situated on the northern banks of the River Aire, roughly half a mile north of Castleford town centre.

This Greyhound Owner caption dated July 1953, mentions Castleford and also Altofts, which is what The Whitwood Stadium was known then, proving both venues were in operation around that period.
This OS Map dated 1954 shows the venue in the centre. Courtesy of Old Maps.