It seems the districts around the Buckinghamshire town of Aylesbury had been blessed with Greyhound Racing throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s. Although no permanent venue had been constructed within many miles of the town, a good number of temporay flip venues locally had been organised. Another one to add to the list was one located near the Broughton Crossing, situated roughly one mile east of Aylesbury town centre. The name of Broughton Crossing had arisen due to a Railway line level crossing, which was located virtually on the door step of The Prince of Wales Public House, perched along Burcott Lane. The flyer below possibly dated 1958, suggests that events would take place on a circuit constructed in a field, situated in a south west direction from the Public House on the opposite side of the disused railway line. It is thought that this event was promoted by a Mr Bill Armstrong and a Mr George Macey a local turf accountant. Little else is know regarding what happened after these events, although the location of the site is now covered by new dwellings on the Kingsbrook developments housing estate, east of Burcott Lane. Incidentally, the old Prince of Wales Public House still remains and is now known as The Doghouse which is the only reminder that almost pinpoints its once location.
Many thanks to Mrs Julie Lewis regarding the above information and providing the above image.