Select Page

This advert printed in the local press dated September 24th 1929.

The Bedfordshire suburb of Stopsley is located roughly one and a half miles north east of Luton town centre. It is known that greyhound racing was staged there during the latter end of 1929 and would continue in to the following year. During the autumn it is also known that six meetings were staged weekly, four evening and two afternoon meetings, which would begin at 3pm. The above advert shows clearly that enquiries regarding racing were pinpointed towards The Sportsman Hotel, a venue which still exists today in the centre of Stopsley, along Hitchin Road. The tracks actual location may be linked to the press cutting dated May 5th 1931 below. The Bungalow’s in question, presently lie north of the junction between Ashcroft Road and Turners Road North, which during the 1930’s was known as Ramridge Road (See Google Earth). Ordnance Survey Maps dated 1924, 1938 and 1962 shows how the site developed until the Bungalow’s were built.