Select Page

The South Wales town of Port Talbot lies eight miles east of Swansea, and is probably more famous for being the home to one of the largest steelworks in the world. It was during the early 1930’s that greyhound racing was staged at the Central Athletic Track, a venue which has staged a number of sports throughout its existence. Football, Tennis, hockey and athletics have been staged there, but it is Rugby Union that has become more known for, with Aberavon Rugby Club and The Welsh Women’s Rugby Team now regular staging matches there. Greyhound racing was first staged on May 31st 1930, and would continue to do so until around 1935. Little is known how it operated but it certainly can be classed as an independent venue. The venue still remains and has had a number of titles over the years, but it is presently known as the Talbot Athletic Ground, and is located one mile south west of junction 41 of the M4 Motorway. The venue is easy to find, its huge floodlight stanchions being one of Port Talbots focal points as you travel along the M4.

This caption dated June 6th 1930 announces the venues opening meeting.
Application for a betting license printed in the local press dated February 13th 1935.
Two present views of The Talbot Athletic Ground, its floodlight stanchions clearly visible from the M4 Motorway.